How to Plant Trees and Shrubs | Great Escape Nursery
This post describes how to plant trees and shrubs purchased from Great Escape Nursery. The shrubs and trees we offer are very hardy and easy to grow. All you need to do is dig a hole, amend the soil with Pete moss, put the plant in the hole and keep them watered for the first year.
We have provided an easy to follow process on how to plant trees and shrubs. The plants that you receive will be dormant and bareroot. Please plan on planting them within a day or two of receiving them. We strive to send the plants when the ground is workable in your region.
- Right after receiving your plants, soak them in a bucket of water for at least 4 hours, but not more than 24 hours, to hydrate the plants.
- Dig a deep hole that is big enough to allow the roots to spread out without bending or overcrowding. Keep the topsoil and blend with Pete moss and compost if available.
- Prune off any damaged or broken roots.
- Place the plant in the hole so that all the roots will be under the ground, then backfill the hole. Don’t bend the roots to fit into the hole. If the roots don’t fit, dig the hole bigger if possible or prune the roots as a last resort.
- Water well to settle the soil around the roots and remove any air pockets. Water the equivalent of one inch of rain every 7 days. Water slowly so that it reaches the entire root system.
- Add a layer of mulch to the soil around the shrub. Mulch cools the soil temperature and helps retain moisture. It also prevents weeds from growing and slowly adds organic matter to the soil.
- Do not perform any severe pruning until after the plants are established or after they have been in the ground for at least 1 or 2 years.